In the run up to Christmas we’ll show some of the objects added to the Museum’s collection in the last 12 months. These objects will be on display at the Museum until we close for Christmas on 16th December.
The Hornchurch Brewery was founded in 1789 by John Woodfine, out of whose family it passed in 1874. It ceased production altogether in 1929 after several other changes of ownership. The buildings, located on both sides of Hornchurch High Street, were demolished in 1930-31 and its 40 pubs sold off. As the company only brewed beer, it is probable that they brought the cognac in and branded the bottles themselves. It is believed this one dates from 1885.